Casual Video Games – Filmmakers
Magic the Casual
Magic the Gathering was once seen as a groundbreaking game that helped launch the entire trading card game craze. While it has remained profitable and successful over the years, recent times have shown its market share dwindling as newer, more modern competitors have entered the market. Because of this, Wizards of the Coast, the owner of the card game, has reached out to companies to come up with a proposal to transfer from their current physical card game to a mixture of online and offline gameplay or fully go online with a complete casual game. Developers must create one mechanic to promote limited playing, one mechanic or system (such as a scan or offline tournaments) to incorporate offline cards into online (potentially using new technology), and must script a story/framing device utilizing a big name voice actor or talent. Focus should be kept on the multiplayer aspects and the casual game should be available, at minimum, on phones.
- What system promotes casual play and how? Explain in at least three sentences.
The system that promotes casual play would be the cellular phone. It is a device that can be pulled out and used anywhere. In fact people do use them everywhere and anywhere. If they are bored at the doctor’s office, they will pull out their cell phones and play.
- What promotes daily login? Explain how this would work in at least three sentences.
Promotion of a daily login would be a special login streak. Such as day one you get 25 coins and day two you get 50 coins. All the way up to day seven where you would get something like 200 coins. That would definitely promote a daily login, especially if the coins are used for micro-transactions or other usable content for the game.
- What play style of your video game? Explain why in at least three sentences.
The play style of the video game is all about playing with your friends. Online multiplayer is a big hit in the video game industry. Getting online to play with your friends or even people from all over the world would be a big hit for this game. It would also make playing more enjoyable and more incentive to play.
- What is the genre of your video game? Explain why in at least three sentences.
The genre of the video game is fantasy. It is a fantasy based card game, full or orcs and giant spiders. You may even encounter a woodland elf or two. Maybe you’ll see a mermaid or a gryphon. You play a card with a definitive attack or defense phase and wait for the other player to block or retaliate. You could be a flying creature or a grounds creature.
- Create a character and visual mock up. (Worth 2 questions)
- Would your Advertisements use end game graphics, rendered cut scenes or live actions? Explain why in at least three sentences.
The advertisement would use rendered cut scenes and live actions. Both of these are widely popular in video game commercials. I think it would captivate an audience much better than just showing the end game graphics. It would show more of a story to draw the consumers in.
- Describe the visual style of your video game? Explain why in at least three sentences.
The visual style of the video game is fantasy art. You have like a rustic fantasy based card game. Lots of dark colors, browns and blacks with a dark border. It has the look and feel of a 90’s card game but its all for today’s gamers.
- Create an example of visual style of your video game.
- What is the audio style for the video game (pixel style, foley orchestrated, etc) and why? Explain why in at least three sentences.
The audio style for the game is fully orchestrated. I feel it would add to the whole feel of the game. It would really get the player pumped and ready to go. *Drum roll….* Bass drop* Play that card! Nothing really heavy, just a touch.
- Would you have voice characters, if so what voice actors would you choose and why? Explain in at least three sentences.
The characters themselves will not have voices as they don’t move or interact with the game itself. They are more just a face for your character and opposing character. The tutorials will however have a voice over. I think having a voice over and written words to explain the game will appeal to a wide range of audience. I’m leaning towards Norman Reedus as the voice over. He has a nice voice for that.
- Will there be additional downloadable content for a special currency? What is the currency that will be used and why? Explain your choice in at least three sentences.
I think the addition of additional downloadable content for the game would be greatly met. Especially for a special currency. In the game you will earn gold coins or you can buy the coins yourself for a fee. After you acquired so many coins you can then use them for a DLC. The DLC will consist of new players to duel against, card packs to boost your decks and new background mats to play on.